Creamy and cool, Orange Fluff is a delicious Jello salad! Made with plump oranges, tart pineapple, and sweet mini marshmallows it is a crowd favorite and welcome at any pot luck. Serve it as a side dish or dessert salad!
Orange Fluff Jello Salad
“What is that ORANGE STUFF over there on the table?” It just happens to be the BEST JELLO SALAD ever!
Full of orange flavor perfectly paired with crushed pineapple, call it a side dish, a salad, or a dessert. Just as long as you eat it!
This is very similar to Watergate Salad made with pistachio pudding but this recipe uses jello instead.
Why is it called orange fluff?
Why because it is so light and fluffy! The jello adds a punch of flavor and the whipped topping and cottage cheese add the fluffy texture that you can’t resist.
So what’s in it you ask?
Cottage Cheese – Don’t freak out. Cottage cheese balances out the sweetness. If you are not a fan of the texture, you can pulse it in a food processor until smooth. You can also substitute vanilla pudding if you need to.
Jello – Use instant orange jello powder. Do not make it, just add the powder.
Oranges – Mandarin oranges are the best. If you don’t have them, peel and cut up regular oranges.
Pineapple – Use the crushed pineapple. Be sure to drain it well before use.
Marshmallows – Mini marshmallows are great because they are bite-sized. You can use full size and then just cut them into small pieces. Make it even more fun with colored ones.
Whipped Topping – Use the frozen whipped topping as it holds better. You can use fat free if you like. If you use regular whipped cream it won’t thicken up like it should.
How to make Orange Jello Salad
First: Add cottage cheese to large bowl. Sprinkle the jello powder over it and mix well.
Second: Drain and add the oranges and pineapple and stir to mix well.
Third: Stir in the mini marshmallows and cool whip until creamy.
Fourth: Chill for at least an hour or overnight. Enjoy chilled!
For the full recipe and detailed baking instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post.
- try cherry or raspberry jello and fresh fruits for a different flavor profile
- add maraschino cherries or cranberries for more tartness
- add shredded coconut or chopped pecans for texture
- need less sugar? try sugar free jello instead
Can I make it ahead of time?
Of course you can! The orange jello salad is best when it’s able to set up for at least an hour or overnight. Just be sure to give it a quick stir before serving.
I wouldn’t make it more than 2 days before enjoying.
Can I use instant pudding?
If you want to leave out the cottage cheese or want it creamier, then you can add some instant pudding powder to the recipe.
But you will need to add more whipped topping so mix it with.
Looking for more leftover worthy dishes? Follow LTB on Pinterest and pin to a board!
Can I use sugar free jello?
I haven’t tried it with a sugar free jello powder before but I have heard of those that use it and love it!
Can I substitute something for the cottage cheese?
You can use instant orange or vanilla pudding and a 16 ounce whipped topping as a substitute for the cottage cheese. Greek yogurt is also a great choice!
Tips for No Leftovers
- Do not prepare the jello or pudding ahead of time. It will be too liquidy!
- Let the salad set in the fridge for an hour for best flavor.
- Try pineapple tidbits for a heartier salad.
- Make sure you chill for at least an hour to let everything set.
- Add in some extras like toasted nuts for texture.
- Experiment with different flavor profiles.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
This Mandarin Orange Jello Salad recipe is so creamy and delicious! Serve this easy side dish at your next picnic or pot luck!
- 2 cups (16 oz) container small curd cottage cheese
- 1 small box (3.4 oz) orange jello
- 1 can (14 oz) mandarin oranges (drained well)
- 1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple (drained well)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 container (8 oz) whipped topping (thawed)
- Add cottage cheese to large bowl. Sprinkle the jello powder over the cottage cheese and mix well.
- Add mandarin oranges and pineapple and mix well.
- Stir in marshmallows and whipped topping. Mix well.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Enjoy cold!
*If you like this recipe, please leave me a comment and rate it 5 stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 4 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 100Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 86mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 3g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
More Easy Recipes
LeftoversThenBreakfast.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encourages and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.