These easy and SUPER MOIST cake batter cookies use just 4 ingredients and are a FESTIVE way to celebrate all the patriotic holidays!
If you’d rather skip my essential cooking tips and tricks and get straight to this delicious recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
What are cake mix cookies?
I am OBSESSED with cake batter and cookies which is why I can’t resist whipping up a batch of these cake cookies. Cookie dough made with cake batter? Yes, please!!
They are the best of both worlds and a dream come true for lazy bakers like me. Soft, moist, and delicious and taste like cake batter.
Want to get the kids in the holiday spirit? These are so easy and take less than 20 minutes. Less time means less mess, right?
Of all the recipes you can make with cake mix, this is hands down the easiest. It is FOOL PROOF!
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support this blog at no additional cost to you and allows me to continue bringing you delicious recipes and funny stories. For my entire disclosure policy click here.
What kind of cake mix do I use?
For this recipe I prefer to use a white cake mix. Only because it showcases the festive red, white, and blue decorations better.
You can use a yellow cake mix if you are in a bind or don’t mind the cookies being a little richer in color.
In terms of brands of cake mix, my favorite is Pillsbury. That is a personal preference so if you like Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines better, feel free to use those.
You can also make a homemade cake mix using this recipe.
What you will need
- box of cake mix (15.25oz)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- any additional mix ins
How to make cookies using cake mix
STEP ONE – Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
STEP TWO – Combine the cake mix, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Stir gently together until combined.
STEP THREE – Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until the cookies are set. Cool completely before storing.
What can I add to the cake batter cookies?
The options are limitless! Add in your favorite items while mixing the batter. Some ideas include but are not limited to:
If you are adding any of these items, use 1/2 cup total or it will throw off the dough.
Looking for more comfort food? Follow LTB on Pinterest!
Can you freeze cake mix cookies?
Yes you can! Just bake them, cool completely, and then store in an air tight container or freezer bag for up to 2 months.
Thaw at room temperature before eating.
Special tips for perfect cake cookies
- Scoop – use an ice cream scoop to keep all your cookies the same size. This allows them to bake evenly and prevent burnt cookies.
- Easy Prep – make the batter up to 2 days in advance and store in the fridge until ready to bake. Add sprinkles just before baking to prevent the colors from running.
- Chill – refrigerate the dough for 15-20 minutes for easier scooping. It is stickier than regular cookie dough.
- Bake – don’t over bake. If they start to brown they will be overcooked.
- Cool – allow them to cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. They will break apart if too warm.
- Store – they keep at room temp for up to week if stored in an air tight container.
- Freeze – freeze in a freezer bag for up to 2 months.
- Customize – use add ins of different color combinations to match the holiday or occasion.
These Patriotic Cake Mix Cookies are one of the easiest red, white and blue desserts for the 4th of July! Easy to make ahead of time and festive with colorful candies and sprinkles.
I love the patriotic mix and are tasty serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream for sandwiches.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
More 4th of July recipes
- Red, White & Blue Slush
- Watermelon Blueberry Salad
- Space Pop Cocktail
- Mixed Berry Eton Mess
- Strawberry Shortcake Trifle
- Patriotic Candied Popcorn
- Red, White, & Blue Desserts
Patriotic cake mix cookies recipe
@LeftoversThenBreakfast.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encourages and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.