Stuffed Pepper Soup is a THICK and HEARTY soup full of FLAVORS and COLORS. All the deliciousness of traditional stuffed bell peppers but WITHOUT ALL THE FUSS!
SLOW COOKER STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
Are you a fan of bell peppers? I love all of them, especially the red ones. I know some don’t like the green ones because they tend to be stronger in flavor.
But the green ones are cheaper and more abundant because they don’t have to ripen as long, so these are the ones that get used when making stuffed peppers.
Stuffed bell peppers are a hearty and delicious meal but all the cooking and then stuffing and then baking tends to be labor intensive.
This slow cooker stuffed pepper soup is easy to prep and the crock pot does all the work. And…
no need to cook the rice beforehand!
INGREDIENTS FOR STUFFED PEPPER SOUP RECIPE
- bell peppers
- ground beef
- diced tomatoes
- rice (uncooked)
- beef broth
TO MAKE STUFFED PEPPER SOUP
ONE: In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook onion until soft. Add garlic and thyme, and cook for an additional minute.
TWO: Remove and place in the crock pot bowl. In the same saucepan, brown the meat or ground beef. Drain fat if desired. Place beef in a crock pot bowl with onions.
THREE: Add to the crockpot the tomatoes, broth, peppers, water, and sauce. Stir to combine. Cook on low for 4 hours.
FOUR: Add rice. Stir to combine. Cook and additional 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy while warm.
For the full recipe and detailed baking instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post.
Looking for more comfort food? Follow LTB on Pinterest!
Bell peppers in a variety of colors make the soup not only better, but prettier to look at.
Green bell peppers tend to be stronger in flavor and a little on the zesty side. Red, yellow, and orange bell peppers are sweeter.
I like to use 2 green and 1 yellow to balance each other out. Plus this allows the red in the tomatoes to shine. My kids used to call this traffic light soup because of the red, yellow, and green colors. LOL!
Feel free to use the peppers that you love! Red pepper are my favorite!
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
This soup will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If you are planning on making a big batch and portioning it out, I would recommend leaving the rice out as it tends to puff up.
CAN YOU FREEZE IT?
You can freeze this soup for up to 3 months in freezer safe containers. Again, I would make it without the rice and freeze.
When reheating, add cooked rice when ready to eat.
By the way, you can cook rice and freeze it too. Think of all the lunches you can prep in no time!
CAN I USE ANOTHER MEAT BESIDES BEEF?
Feel free to use ground chicken, ground turkey, or sausage. If you want to make it vegan, use plant based meat substitute crumbles and vegetable broth.
CAN I MAKE THIS ON THE STOVE TOP?
You can make this in one pot on the stove top. You might need to adjust your cooking time based on your schedule
- Brown the onions and ground beef in a large pot. Drain if desired.
- To the pot, add the peppers, tomatoes, spices, broth, and juice. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- When about ready to serve, add the rice and cook for another 20 minutes. Enjoy with crusty bread or a salad.
Looking for more slow cooker recipes? Check out this huge list of ideas!
TIPS FOR NO LEFTOVERS
- use tomato juice for more liquid in your soup if you cook with rice
- try different flavors of diced tomatoes like fire roasted, Italian style, or chili ready tomatoes
- works great with brown rice and chicken broth too
- add Italian seasoning instead of just thyme if you like that
- use a pressure cooker to keep this a one pot meal
- leave out rice to keep it low carb or keto
- add cheese to make it richer
- add more or less rice to make it thicker or thinner
- serve it with a hunk of crusty bread
- add black beans and corn for a southwest twist
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
This easy stuffed pepper soup is a great recipe for a weeknight meal or for a chilly weekend afternoon.
I love stuffed peppers so I make a batch and save for healthy lunches all week long!
MORE EASY DINNER RECIPES
- Stuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
- Ham and Potato Soup
- Vegetarian Stuffed Shells
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Easy Ground Beef Recipes
- Cheesy Corn and Rice Casserole