Cheesy Corn and Rice Casserole combines tender yellow rice, corn, and lots of cheese. With just 5 ingredients, this delicious side dish comes together quickly and is a hit with everyone!
Corn and Rice Casserole Recipe
Cheesy Corn and Rice Casserole is a great recipe to serve at family get togethers and holiday dinners. Something about all the cheesy goodness that brings everyone together. Think of all the happy tummies at Thanksgiving dinner!
This is seriously the best casserole I have ever made. With just 5 ingredients, it is easy to put together, can be made ahead of time, and is the perfect side dish with just about any meal!
I love this rice and corn casserole with some crispy fried chicken, fresh green beans, and a garden salad.
When I add this family favorite to the weekly menu plan, I always make two and keep one in the freezer for dinner emergencies.
Yellow Rice – I use a 5 ounce package of yellow saffron rice and cook according to package directions before using. You can also use 2 cups leftover rice!
Fire Roasted Corn – You can find this in the can or use frozen corn. If you can’t just use any kernel corn you have on hand.
Creamed Corn – This helps to keep it very moist and creamy!
Cream of Onion Soup – I tried it with cream of chicken but preferred the flavor of the onion. You can also use cheddar cheese soup if you want it SUPER cheesy.
Cheddar Cheese – I like to grate my own from a block so it melts better. But use what you have on hand if you want to clean out the refrigerator.
Looking for more leftover worthy dishes? Follow LTB on Pinterest and pin to a board!
How to make Cheesy Corn Casserole
First: Cook or prepare the yellow rice according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350F.
Second: In a mixing bowl, combine the corn, creamed corn, soup, cheese, and cooked rice. Stir until completely combined.
Third: Pour into an 8X8 baking dish prepped with cooking spray. Spread evenly.
Fourth: Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until bubbly and the top is slightly golden brown. Remove and cool slightly. Enjoy!
For the full recipe and detailed baking instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post.
Can I make this ahead of time?
You can prep this a few days ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until ready to cook. Just remove the the casserole from the refrigerator while the oven is preheating. Then cook as directed.
Can I freeze it?
You can prep this ahead of time, wrap tightly and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bake as directed.
If you want to bake this from frozen, lower the temperature to 325F and cook. You might need to adjust the cooking times.
Can I use white rice?
Where do I find yellow rice?
This recipe uses a 5 ounce package of yellow rice mix and tastes the best.
If you want to use a different brand or can’t find a 5 ounce package, you can use 2 cups of your desired cooked rice.
Can I make this in the crockpot?
You can, although I have not tried it yet. Just combine all the ingredients in your slow cooker and cook on low for 2 hours or until bubbly and cheesy. Use a crock pot liner for easier clean up.
- Use Mexican corn or Southwest corn (in the can, drained) and add a 4 ounce can of chopped green chiles.
- Add some jalapeño peppers for spice.
- Try Pepper Jack cheese for a kick.
- Add a tablespoon of your favorite spice mix to the casserole and change the flavor profile.
Tips for No Leftovers
- Drain but do not rinse the fire roasted corn.
- Use frozen if you prefer more crisp tender corn.
- Want a full meal? Add in a pound of cooked ground beef.
- For more cheesy goodness, sprinkle some extra cheese on top during the last 5 minutes of baking.
- You can cook this in a 9×9 or 9×13 pan if you need to.
- Prepare the baking dish with nonstick spray for easier clean up.
- I don’t add salt and pepper to this because of the canned soup but feel free to season as you like.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
Corn and Rice Casserole is simple to make, packed with creamy cheesy flavor bite after bite. Just by combining a five key ingredients, you will have this delicious corn casserole recipe on the table in no time!
- 1 (5 ounce) package of yellow rice mix (prepared, or 2 cups leftover rice)
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) cream of onion soup
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) creamed corn
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) fire roasted corn (drained)
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Cook the rice according to package directions or use leftover yellow rice.
- Place the rice in a large bowl and add the creamed corn, corn kernels, cream of onion soup, and shredded cheese.
- Mix to combine.
- Pour into an 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
*If you love this recipe as much as I do, please leave me a comment and rate it 5 stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 407mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 9g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
LeftoversThenBreakfast.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encourages and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.