Simple and easy to make, this classic Chicken Macaroni Salad makes a perfect dinner, side dish, or light lunch. Packed with tons of flavors and textures and mixed in a creamy dressing, it’s the filling and budget friendly. Did I mention is absolutely delicious?!
If you’d rather skip my essential cooking tips and tricks and get straight to this delicious recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Chicken Macaroni Salad is a creamy pasta salad that’s packed with protein and crisp vegetables. Made with leftover chicken, it’s easy to make and even easier on the budget.
This salad is the perfect mixture of traditional chicken salad and your favorite pasta salads and is amazingly versatile!
I use rotisserie chicken that I picked up on sale at the deli but you can use precooked chicken you might have leftover or tucked away in the freezer. You can also use canned chicken for even more savings.
Whip one up in no time for the next cookout, potluck, or portion out for a few days of lunches.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
CHICKEN MACARONI SALAD INGREDIENTS
- macaroni pasta
- red onion
- bell pepper
- hard boiled eggs
- salt & pepper
Macaroni – I like a small shaped pasta noodle to keep everything roughly the same size. It makes it easier to eat that way. Cook macaroni al dente and rinse in cold water to keep it from getting mushy.
Chicken – This recipe uses chicken breast meat from a rotisserie chicken I grabbed on salt at the deli.
Hard Boiled Eggs – I like to buy already hard boiled eggs for ease of use, but if you want to save money, hard boil them at home. Here is a tutorial on how to cook easy peel hard boiled eggs.
Mayo – Feel free to use Miracle Whip, low fat, or fat free mayonnaise. You can also substitute a portion of the mayo for sour cream or plain yogurt. Don’t replace it all though.
Mustard – Whole grain mustard is used in this recipe but you can try Dijon mustard instead if you prefer.
Looking for more comfort food? Follow LTB on Pinterest!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN MACARONI SALAD
ONE: Cook the macaroni al dente, according to package instructions. Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
TWO: Dice the other ingredients so all are roughly the same size for easier eating.
THREE: In a large bowl, combine the cold macaroni and remaining ingredients. Toss to combine.
FOUR: Chill for at least 30 minutes for best results. Serve and enjoy!
For the full recipe and detailed baking instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post.
HOW DO YOU KEEP MACARONI SALAD FROM GETTING WATERY?
Don’t over cook the pasta. It will be mushy and release water along with the other ingredients.
WHY DOES MY MACARONI SALAD DRY OUT?
If you undercook the pasta too much, it won’t absorb the dressing and it will dry out. Cook the macaroni until is tender on the outside yet slightly firm to the bite on the inside.
HOW LONG CAN MACARONI SALAD SIT OUT?
Because of the mayo, I do not recommend letting it sit out for more than 1.5 hours. Anything longer than 2 hours, and you should throw it out.
HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days!
CAN I FREEZE IT?
As with most pasta, I don’t recommend freezing it. If you want to make it ahead, prepare all the ingredients and keep them separate in the refrigerator. Combine about 30 minutes before serving.
WHAT DO YOU EAT CHICKEN MACARONI SALAD WITH?
TIPS FOR NO LEFTOVERS
- I love to use seasoned rotisserie chicken, but you can also use canned chicken in a pinch!
- A mixture of sweet and dill pickles add even more flavor.
- Use relish if you don’t have whole pickles.
- Cook the pasta al dente, or to the tooth, to keep it from getting too soft.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving but I find it at it’s peak after 1 hour.
- Keep a little of the mayo in reserve and stir it in just before serving to keep it extra creamy.
- Top with cooked crumbled bacon just before serving for a crispy smoky treat!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
Packed with tons of flavors and textures, this creamy pasta salad with chicken, is budget friendly and great for any occasion! Oh, and it feeds a crowd!
MORE EASY RECIPES
- Macaroni and Tomatoes
- Chicken Pesto Pasta Salad
- Baked Lemon Chicken
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Chicken Marinade
- Homemade Potato Salad
CHICKEN MACARONI SALAD RECIPE
Favorite Chicken Recipe
- Blackened Chicken from Art of Natural Living
- Chicken and Avocado Salad from That Recipe
- Chicken Ramen Stir Fry from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Tortillas from The Freshman Cook
- Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas from The Spiffy Cookie
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Creamy Chicken with sun Dried Tomatoes from Lemon Blossoms
- Easy Slow Cooker Italian Chicken from Blogghetti
- Garlic and Ginger Caramel Chicken Thighs from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Hot Chicken and Pancake Tacos from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- One Skillet Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Pasta from Family Around the Table
@LeftoversThenBreakfast.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encourages and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.