Doritos Chicken Casserole is bursting with flavor and is ready in under an hour! Tender chicken is smothered in a creamy fiesta ranch sauce and topped off with melty cheese and crunchy Dorito chips; this is one dish that the whole family will love!
What is Dorito Casserole?
Doritos Chicken Casserole is a fun twist on the classic taco casserole. But the addition of crunchy Dorito chips takes this dish to a whole new level.
In our house, taco casserole is a staple. Everyone loves tacos; however, sometimes, I don’t want all the fuss (or mess!) of making individual tacos and prepping all the toppings. This is why casseroles are amazing!
They’re the ultimate comfort dish with all flavors of a family favorite but in one convenient pan!
This quick and easy meal has all the makings of the perfect comfort food main dish. Made with tender chicken, tomatoes, crunchy chips, smothered in a zesty, creamy, sauce and topped with a healthy portion of gooey cheese; this casserole is soul-satisfying!
So, when you want to change up your traditional Taco Tuesday routine or are just looking to spice up your weeknight dinner menu, rotate in this simple creamy Chicken Doritos Casserole, it is sure to become a dish the whole family will love!
Chicken – This recipe starts with cooked chicken. So, cook the chicken prior to using or for an easier meal prep or use a rotisserie chicken from the store.
Sour Cream – Feel free to use a low fat or fat free version of your favorite brand.
Rotel – If you don’t have a can of this you can use a drained can of diced tomatoes and a small can of chopped green chilies.
Corn – Use canned corn. Drain and rinse before using.
Powdered Fiesta Ranch Dressing – While I love the zesty flavor this dressing adds to the dish, feel free to use original if you’d prefer a milder flavor.
Dorito Chips – I love using Nacho Cheese flavor Dorito chips but Spicy Nacho, Cool Ranch, or Spicy-Sweet Chili would be delicious as well. Or even try a combination of two!
Cheese – I like the flavor of Mexican blend with the zesty ranch dressing and the Doritos but use your favorite or what you have on hand. Cheddar cheese or Colby Jack taste great too!
Looking for more leftover worthy dishes? Follow LTB on Pinterest and pin to a board!
How to make Doritos Chicken Casserole
First: Preheat oven to 350 degrees °F and spray a 9×13-inch cooking spray. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, sour cream, Rotel, cream of chicken soup, corn, and fiesta ranch dressing.
Second: Add a handful of the crumbled chips to the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Third: Spread the meat mixture over the initial layer of chips. Top mixture with larger pieces of crushed-up chips. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Fourth: Place foil over the pan and bake for 20-minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5-minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining Doritos chips.
Serve with your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
For the full recipe and detailed baking instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post.
How to Store Leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave or larger portions in the baking dish in the oven.
Can I freeze it?
You can freeze, unbaked Doritos Casserole. Prepare according to recipe card, prior to baking.
Tightly wrap casserole in foil and place in freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to enjoy, allow casserole to thaw overnight in fridge. Once thawed, bake according to recipe card.
Can I make this with ground beef?
Sure can! Feel free to swap the chicken for 1 pound of ground beef. If you use leaner beef, you might need a little oil in the pan when browning the meat.
Can I turn this Doritos Chicken Casserole into Walking Tacos?
Sure can! Prepare chicken mixture per recipe card. Then, slightly crush your individual bags of Doritos to make room for the filling. Add 1/4 cup of the chicken casserole to each bag, layer with favorite toppings and enjoy!
Tips for No Leftovers
- You can cook the chicken before using in the recipe or for easier prep, use a rotisserie chicken from the deli. I like to keep cooked chicken breasts in the freezer for just this purpose.
- I prefer shredded chicken in this dish but cubed works well too.
- You can put the cheese before the chips if you want your chips to stay a little crunchier.
- Top with your favorite taco toppings: sour cream, salsa, diced tomatoes, cilantro and jalapeños.
- To crush Doritos or tortilla chips, place in a Ziplock bag and crush by hand, but do not crush too small.
- Spray foil with cooking spray prior to covering so it doesn’t stick to the cheese
- Taco seasoning would be tasty in this dish if you’d like to swap out for the ranch.
- For added protein, add in drained kidney or black beans
- Be sure to drain the can of corn prior to adding into chicken mixture
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
This hearty and filling one-dish Doritos Chicken Casserole is perfect for the whole family. It’s easy to make, budget-friendly, and feeds a crowd with plenty of leftovers!
- 3 cups cooked chicken (chopped)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel
- 1 (10.75ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can corn (drained)
- 1 ounce package powdered Fiesta Ranch dressing
- 1 (10 ounce) bag Dorito Nacho chips
- 2 cups Mexican cheese (shredded)
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 9x13 baking dish with -cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, Rotel, soup, corn, and fiesta ranch dressing mix.
- Stir to combine.
- Fold in the cooked chicken and mix to combine.
- In the bottom of the prepared baking dish, add a handful of crushed chips.
- Spread the chicken mixture over the chips in an even layer.
- Crumble the remaining chips over the top of the chicken mixture. Top with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve with your favorite toppings like sour cream, salsa, diced tomatoes, cilantro and jalapeños.
*If you love this recipe as much as I do, please leave me a comment and rate it 5 stars. Thank you!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 514mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
More Easy Recipes
LeftoversThenBreakfast.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encourages and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.