This Chicken Spaghetti recipe with rotel is going to be your family’s new favorite casserole! Tender pasta, creamy sauce, all topped with melty cheese and ready in under 1 hour. Perfect for any weeknight meal and also make-ahead and freezer friendly.
This cheesy chicken spaghetti is one of my favorite comfort foods! Complex flavors in a one-dish meal, but simple ingredients. Pair it with a leafy green salad and it’s ready for the table.
I love that I can mix it up a day or two ahead of time and bake it when I am ready for dinner. It’s perfect for a busy weeknight.
Reasons to make Chicken Spaghetti
- Picky eaters at home? No problem! Everyone loves this recipe from adults down to kids!
- It’s a great way to use leftover chicken from another meal.
- No time to make dinner? This recipe can easily be made ahead of time.
- This is a great option to take to sick family members because it freezes really well.
- Calling all cheese lovers! This Chicken Spaghetti Casserole is super cheesy with 4, yes FOUR, creamy and cheese ingredients combined.
Great for making a fancy pasta dinner and using leftover chicken. Your family will love this recipe as much as mine does!
Spaghetti – This chicken spaghetti bake traditionally uses spaghetti noodles, broken into smaller pieces, but feel free to use angel hair, linguine, or fettuccini noodles. You can also use gluten free pasta or spaghetti squash.
Cooked Chicken – This is great for using leftover chicken breast. If you need a shortcut, grab a rotisserie chicken from the deli. I always keep packages of cooked shredded chicken in the freezer for quick and easy meals like this one.
Velveeta – I love the creaminess that Velveeta has and how it melts. You can also use a spicier Mexican version!
Cream Cheese – Feel free to use a low-fat or fat-free version of cream cheese. Blended with Velveeta, it is a cheesy match made in flavor heaven.
Rotel – If you don’t have Ro Tel you can substitute a can of diced tomatoes and a can of chopped green chilies for the same zesty combo.
Cream Soups – This recipe uses both cream of chicken and cream of mushroom. You can also use cream of celery, or cream of onion. If you want to double up on just one kind that is great too! They are all pure comfort food.
Cheese – Use a combination of mozzarella and cheddar cheese for the topping. You can switch this up to your favorite cheese.
Looking for more leftover worthy dishes? Follow LTB on Pinterest and pin to a board!
How to make Chicken Spaghetti
First: Cook the spaghetti in a large pot until al dente. Drain and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Debone and shred the coked chicken. Set aside.
Second: In the same pot you cooked the spaghetti, add the Velveeta cheese, cream cheese, Rotel, cream of mushroom soup, and cream of chicken soup.
Cook over a medium heat, stirring, until everything has melted and combined. Add the garlic powder, onion powder and Creole Seasoning and stir well.
Third: Add the spaghetti and shredded chicken. Toss well so that it is evenly mixed. Add this mixture to a lightly greased 13×9” casserole dish.
Sprinkle the mozzarella and cheddar cheese all over the top then place in the oven.
Fourth: Bake for 25-30 minutes, until it’s all bubbly around the edges. Remove and serve immediately with garlic bread and salad.
For the full recipe and detailed baking instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post.
Can it be made ahead of time?
You can prep this chicken spaghetti recipe up to 2 days ahead of time. Wrap the dish tightly in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, bring to room temperature, then bake as directed.
Yes, this dish freezes well. Store in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months. If you bake it in a disposable aluminum dish, you can let it cool and place right in the freezer. Like a frozen lasagna, bake straight from the freezer at 350°F but for about an hour.
How do I store leftovers?
Wrap leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat the whole dish in a 350F oven until bubbly and warmed through.
Or microwave individual servings in 1 minute intervals until warmed through. If it seems a little dry, add a splash of chicken broth or milk to it or a fresh coating of shredded cheese.
I don’t have cajun seasoning, can I use something else?
Definitely. Use any seasoning blend that you prefer. Try to stay on the lighter side of sodium as there is already a bunch with the soups and Velveeta.
Can I use a different meat?
Can I use a different pasta?
Most definitely! Use any pasta you like. We sometimes swap it up for fettuccine or rotini.
What to serve with Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
Tips for No Leftovers
- When cooking the pasta, be sure to salt the water generously. I like to use 2 teaspoons of coarse kosher salt per quart of water.
- Break up the spaghetti into smaller pieces. It’s tradition and also makes bites easier.
- Do no overcook the pasta. Cook until firm or al dente as it will continue to cook while baking and also absorb some of the sauce.
- Add crushed butter cracker crumbs or even croutons or panko breadcrumbs to the cheese on top for some added crunch.
- Be sure to mix the sauce completely to avoid any clumps of ingredients. Some of the cheesy bits will melt, but will do so best if well blended.
- Grate your own cheese from the block, it melts better. Pre=shredded cheese is a great time saver, but it coated in starch to prevent clumping. Unfortunately, this can also prevent smooth melting.
- Add some colorful green peppers for more veggies! This is a great way to clean out the vegetable crisper with all those little odds and ends.
- Leave the meat out all together for a vegetarian version.
- Use your favorite gluten free pasta or substitute spaghetti squash.
- If you like your cheese crispy, place the casserole under the broiler for a few minutes until crispy. I like the edges.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
My family loved this velveeta chicken spaghetti casserole! All the tender pasta, mixed with moist chicken, tossed in a creamy sauce, and baked until the cheesy top is golden brown. It’s a great recipe to make ahead of time and keep in the freezer for a dinner emergency!
- 1 (16 ounces) Package of Spaghetti
- 1 Whole Rotisserie Chicken (deboned and meat shredded)
- 1 (16 ounces) Package of Velveeta Cheese
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 (10oz) Can Rotel
- 1 (10oz) Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 (10oz) Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- ½ Cup Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- ½ Cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- Cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Debone the chicken and shred. Set aside.
- In the same pot you cooked the spaghetti, add the Velveeta cheese, cream cheese, diced tomatoes and chilies, cream of mushroom soup, and cream of chicken soup.
- Cook over a medium heat, stirring, until everything has melted and combined.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder and Creole Seasoning and stir well.
- Add the spaghetti and shredded chicken. Toss well so that it is evenly mixed.
- Add this mixture to a lightly greased 13x9” casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and cheddar cheese all over the top then place in the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until it’s all bubbly around the edges.
- Remove and serve immediately with garlic bread and salad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 938mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g
This nutrition information was generated via a third party, Nutritionix, and can not be held liable for any discrepancies in the information provided.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
LeftoversThenBreakfast.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encourages and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.