This homemade hot cocoa mix recipe is perfect for warming you up on a cold night. Better than store bought, make it in bulk and share with friends and family!
If you’d rather skip my essential cooking tips and tricks and get straight to this delicious recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
Hot cocoa is a favorite of mine because I am not much of a coffee drinker. And let’s be honest…
I love marshmallow and whipped cream!
The store bought nonsense is for the birds which is why I prefer to make mine homemade.
AND…This way I can make a milk chocolate or a dark chocolate version without worrying about what’s available at the grocery store.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my disclosure policy here.
Ingredients for hot chocolate mix
- instant dry milk powder
- powdered sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- granulated sugar
This homemade hot chocolate mix recipe will just make a basic hot cocoa. But we all know that the real fun is in the garnishes and toppings!
Once you make your warm cup of cocoa, top it off with any of these:
- chocolate chips (white, semi sweet, milk, or dark)
- mini marshmallows
- whipped cream
- peppermint extract
- candy canes
- chocolate wafer straws (Pirouline)
Looking for more comfort food? Follow LTB on Pinterest!
How to make hot cocoa mix
STEP ONE: In a large bowl, sift powdered sugar and instant powdered milk together.
STEP TWO: Sift in cocoa powder. Add granulated sugar and whisk together until evenly combined.
STEP THREE: Store in airtight container or jar for up to 3 months
This recipe is perfect for making hot cocoa mix in bulk!
I like to portion mine out in cute little mason jars with a tag and instructions. These little gifts are perfect to hand out to my neighbors!
To make a mug of hot cocoa, add ⅓ cup of homemade hot cocoa mix in a mug, stir in 1 cup hot milk, and add your favorite toppings!
Tips for No Leftovers
- Use good quality cocoa powder. It makes all the difference.
- You can use low-fat instant milk powder but I like the full fat stuff!
- Measure your ingredients before sifting as it changes the volume.
- Place the mix in the mug and then add the warm milk. It will keep the clumps at bay.
- You can make the your hot chocolate with hot water but I prefer milk. It makes it much creamier and yummier!
- To mix the ingredients, you can add them all to a food processor and pulse a few times. This will also aerate the mixture but it’s not necessary.
Who will you share this DIY hot cocoa mix with?
If you love this recipe as much as I do, please write a five-star review in the comment section below (or on Pinterest with the “tried it” button – you can now add pictures into reviews, too!), and be sure to help me share on facebook!
Other mixes to make
Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe
@LeftoversThenBreakfast.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.